We always hear that some essential oil can be used for skincare, relaxation, and muscle pain, but do you know that you can use essential oil for weight loss as well? Yes, you can!
Of course, the essential oil is not magical and won’t make you lose 10 kilograms in one week, but it will help you to stay active, burn fat, and control your food cravings.
So if you are trying to lose weight, you can think about adding any essential oil to your weight loss journey. But we will have a question here, how?
How to use essential oil for weight loss?
The first thing you need to do is to consult your doctor to decide if using oils is the right option or not and to check if there are any potential risks.
Topical application is the best way to use the essential oil for weight loss. It will help to reduce water retention and the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks.
Sometimes you need to mix some of the essential oil with a carrier oil before applying them. Carrier oils like coconut and olive oils. Also, before applying such a mix, you need to test and wait 24 hours to see if there is any irritation or discomfort.
Other ways to use the essential oil for weight loss:
Now we will mention in detail the best five essential oils that will boost weight loss.
- Peppermint Essential Oil
It’s not just for Christmas anymore!
Peppermint oil is extracted from the peppermint plant that blooms in Europe and North America. It is mainly used as a food flavor and as a fragrance in soaps and cosmetics. But it has many other benefits:
1- A study named “Effects of Peppermint Scent on Appetite Control and Caloric Intake” showed that people who smelled peppermint regularly for two hours felt less hungry and consumed around 300 fewer calories every day. Brilliant!
2- It helps to relax hurting muscles and decrease the recovery time so you can get back to your work out fast.
3- a natural energizer that reduces fatigue and improves focus, so you can keep your eyes on your weight-loss goal. It also reduces hunger cravings and can help you to feel full faster.
4- Peppermint oil contains vitamin C, omega-3, and minerals like iron. This helps to lose weight as it controls your food cravings. Because peppermint oil works on a special part of the brain that is responsible for creating serotonin that is linked with craving.
5- Peppermint oil can help to improve your digestion system and expel gas from the stomach and intestines.
How to use peppermint essential oil for weight loss:
1- You can add a couple of drops to your oil diffuser or hot bath, this will help you to elevate your mood and will make you motivated to workout.
2- As per the FDA, you can add 1-2 drops to a glass of water before meals and it will reduce your hunger cravings.
3- You can dip a piece of cotton into peppermint oil and inhale it for a while. If you are doing this regularly before eating it, it will decrease your appetite and your desire for overeating.
4- You can keep a bottle of peppermint oil at your workplace, this will keep your energy level up and keep your caloric index in check.
5- You can use it as a pain relief for your muscles by using one to two drops and massage your neck and back.
6- Mix your toothpaste with a couple of drops before brushing, it will give you a fresh breath as well.
- Lemon Essential Oil
If you are looking for an all-in-one and a budget essential oil, lemon oil should be your choice. It’s a completely natural ingredient that is extracted from peeling fresh lemons using a “cold-pressing” process that releases this oil.
Lemon oil contains d-Limonene and vitamin C that has mane benefits, such as:
1- Breathing the scent of lemon oil helps to lose weight as it increases your energy level and balances your metabolism which leads to releasing toxins out of your body and these toxins stores fat cells.
2- It helps you to be calmer and raise your positive mood.
How to use lemon essential oil for weight loss:
1. As per the FDA, you can add one or two drops of lemon oil to a glass of water or your salad dressings and this will help your body to digest and detoxify.
2. You soak a piece of cotton into lemon oil and breathe it for a couple of minutes. By doing this you can control your food cravings.
3. You can mix lemon oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil and massage your body parts that have cellulite build-up. This helps to remove toxins from fat cells which will make your body healthier and thinner.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil is coming from the Citrus paradisi fruit and mainly used in aromatherapy. It has many benefits including reduced blood pressure and stress levels. Here are some benefits for grapefruit oil;
1- It has d-limonene and nootkatone that supports the metabolism of your body and helps to break fatty acids into the bloodstream which provides the body with more energy.
2- It is very effective at regulating the heartbeat and lowering blood pressure and stress levels.
3- It is an excellent diuretic and lymphatic stimulant, that’s why you may find it one of the ingredients of many cellulite creams.
4- It helps to treat skin problems like acne as it keeps your skin free of bacteria.
How to use grapefruit essential oil for weight loss:
1. You can add one or two drops of grapefruit oil to your morning glass of water every day. This will help to lose fats, improve metabolism, and release toxins out of your body to maintain your weight.
2- Because grapefruit oil contains bromelain that breaks down the cellulite. You can try a natural chemical-free blend of five drops of these oils; grapefruit, orange, ginger, lemon, sandalwood, and a cup of apple cider vinegar to a warm bath and stay for 30 minutes. This will help to decrease the cellulite in your body.
3- You can breathe a fresh scent of grapefruit oil directly from the bottle. The smell relaxes the parasympathetic gastric nerve that controls having food cravings.
3. Mix one or two drops of grapefruit oil with a carrier oil like olive oil and massage your neck, chest, wrists, chest, temples, or any other area that has fats for at least 30 minutes and leave it for several hours.
4. You can add four to six drops of grapefruit oil to your home diffuser especially if you feel hungry and you notice the difference.
- Ginger Essential Oil
Ginger rhizome is the source of ginger essential oil after a distillation process and it’s known as “oil of empowerment”. It can help you to;
- It reduces inflammation as it contains gingerol which as a result will reduce swelling and pain and will keep you active to burn more calories.
- An amazing treatment for crushing obesity.
- It improves the absorption of vitamins and minerals which will support digestion and the sugar craving.
How to use ginger essential oil for weight loss:
- It’s very safe to add two to three drops to your drinking water, green tea, or a smoothie and you can add lemon juice and a spoon of honey.
- You can mix ginger oil with a carrier oil and apply directly to your skin to improve your immune system.
- Breathe it directly from the bottle or add it to your diffuser at work or home.
5. Cinnamon Essential Oil
Smelling cinnamon won’t only recall happiness or memories of yummy food to your mind but it’s also linked to many health benefits;
- Cinnamon oil is amazing for diabetic persons as it regulates blood glucose level and the glucose tolerance factor (GTF) in the body. This can assist in weight loss as unbalanced blood sugar leads to overeating and sugar cravings, eventually gaining more weight.
- It can reduce the risk of heart disease and inflammation as it works as a cardioprotective agent.
- Cinnamon oil helps in breaking down sugar into the body as energy.
- Cinnamon oil also has eugenol which prevents food cravings and overeating.
How to use cinnamon essential oil for weight loss:
- The FDA has confirmed that cinnamon oil is safe to take but you need to get 100% pure and chemical-free. So you can add two or three drops to a glass of water before eating to improve your appetite.
- You can add it to your baking, oats or smoothies.
- Inhaling a few deep breaths of cinnamon oil can make you feel full and improve your mood.
- You can mix cinnamon oil with any carrier oil and massage your chest and neck for a couple of minutes.
- Add cinnamon oil to your diffuser won’t only make your workplace or house smell better but will improve your mood as well.
As we said in the introduction, essential oils are not like magical sticks that will turn you into a healthy person in a week. They are like an assisting factor, part of the big puzzle, the other parts are work-outs, good food (you can check these articles for high protein vegetables and fruits, and a healthy lifestyle. All of this will lead you to good shape.
Now, Tell us which one of these essential oils do you prefer?